Now that we are all friends in full acceptance of our soup community, I felt I would be remiss to the newcomers to not share this soup in this first month of getting to know each other. The veterans will attest that this soup became something of an anthem of ours, the only one I’ve consistently repeated over the past two years despite my efforts to bring you unique soups because it was so loved. I love it, too. The old-timers among you might remember that it was a soup my best friend in Brooklyn used to make our hungry twenty-something crew of artists as the temperatures dropped and we all crowded on the shag carpet of his basement apartment to watch horrible movies with a bowl of this in our laps. It reminds me of home and love; Teddy and I both make this soup for our families now. And it is an honor that I get to make it for yours.
- Serve over rice, cauliflower (like in our house) or traditional
- Top with sliced sautéed peppers and onions with a squeeze of fresh lime
- Scatter with cheese—feta is my favorite, but queso fresco or Monterey Jack are also lovely
- Serve alongside a piece of avocado toast
- Top with a fried egg… or all of the above…
Show me how you serve it by emailing me your photo! Submissions are automatically entered to win a drawing for a Soup Club cookbook.
Yes, all this fun and love went into the recipe. That’s why it tastes so good.